Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Module 4, Reaction

After learning about PBL I can see how my old way of thinking was close but not close enough. I used to look at real world situations, then reword them and ask “what would you do”. This was a start. However, I did not always receive the answers I was looking for. I can see now how following the steps is an important way to organize my thoughts first before creating a question. Now I would rather, Follow the Flow of a PBL Unit, by Choosing a relevant topic, Develop the PBL Learning Adventure, Building the Teaching and Learning Template, Coaching Critical Teaching and Learning Events, and Embedded Periodic Assessments, and Appropriate Instruction.

I can see now how I focused in on the Learning adventure and left out all the rest, luckily my trainers have been picking up the slack and doing most of this without my instruction. However, without me creating this I can see how I have failed my team and the learners. Luckily, I have time to revamp, and a forgiving team.
So, if I didn’t say already I plan to implement this immediately, and I expect that the trainers and learners will have less difficulty interpreting my expectations and will learn to think critically (and have a clearer incite to what they will be experiencing in the workplace) using the PBL I created.

The discrepant event I feel is the perfect tool to use when there is change in the industry or company. I find that when there is the slightest change many fear or even resent it. Using a discrepant event would be the greatest way to redirect the issue through the persons having the fear or resentment. This way they can evaluate why this changed occur. I will use this when I start my new training program or when the new system becomes a requirement.

3 comments:

Becky Mather said...

Good for you-- you are jumping right into PBL with both feet!

Mark said...

Even following all the steps to create a real world applicable problem there still will be problems - oops couldn’t help the pun. You can carefully construct a problem and you believe you have anticipated all of the difficulties and roadblocks in the problem, and yet when the problem is assigned all sorts of issues arise. There are two basic ways to solve this, one way of course is to change the problem, another way is don’t change it, instead buttress the students before the problem is assigned. By that I mean, prior to assigning the problem, provide and practice just enough very selected, minimal information that breaks tough roadblocks in solving the problem.

Mrs. Meyer said...

I can understand why you feel as if you missed the mark, but don't feel alone with that because I have done the same thing as well. It's not your fault if you haven't had training with the idea. When we were going through school, this was not the craze of the day. I can see how this would translate well in the business world. I plan on sharing it myself with others. Do you know specifically how you plan on using it?
Thanks, Laura