Thursday, March 6, 2008

Bloom and Big6

What relationships, if any, do you see between Bloom’s Taxonomy and the Big6™ Model?


The largest relationship that I see with Blooms Taxonomy and the Big6™ Model is the last two steps in Big6™ Model.
Bloom had identified the need to use the highest levels in learning, to give students a deeper understanding. I feel that this also means that this information will also move into the working memory or even become automatic. However, notice that blooms taxonomy is a pyramid with the higher levels at the top and to get their you need to use the lower levels too.
The Big6™ Model also has this present in the last two steps, I do not at all think that his a coincidence, because to get to these levels you need to step up to it and both of these models do exactly this; working up to the highest levels of learning.

2 comments:

Mark said...

I view Bloom's Tax. and the Big6 as progressive processes that lead to higher order thinking or at least give direction to higher order thinking. As you allude to in your comments - in both models you can't start at the top, you must start at the bottom and work your way up.

Becky Mather said...

Remember that the Big6 is not always a strictly linear process-- some stpes may be repeated as a need for more information is identified. So it's back to steps 3 and 4, etc.